Sterling Kalogeras: Grade 7
Are you upset that Halloween is over? Here are three easy Halloween-themed recipes to bring back the spooky spirit. Invite ghosts and witches over, and you’ll have the best scary dinner ever.
Halloween Brain Dip
1/4 red onion
1 pinch cilantro
1 head cauliflower
Salt and pepper to taste
1) Slice avocados in half. Remove the pit. Scoop out the inside of the avocados into a bowl. Mash or whisk the avocados. Then slice a lime in half and squeeze out the juice from one half into the bowl. Mix it in to the avocados.
2) Dice the tomato and add to a different bowl. Next, chop the scallion and add half of that. Then dice a quarter of the onion and add. Chop up the cilantro and add to that. Season with salt and pepper. Add your fresh pico de gallo to the avocados and mix.
3) Slice off the leaves and stem of the cauliflower. Scoop out the inside so it’s like a bowl. If it starts to fall apart, use toothpicks to hold it together. Turn it over so you can see the hallow part. Put the cauliflower into a bowl. The bowl is just for stability. Pour the dip into the cauliflower and serve.
1/2 orange bell pepper, julienned
1/2 green bell pepper, julienned
1/2 red bell pepper, julienned
2 pounds jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails off)
2 large ears of corn, kernels removed
1 zucchini, diced
Pinch of chili powder
Salt and pepper to taste
(Optional) rice or pasta to serve with
1) Start with your mis en place (julienne your peppers, dice your zucchini, cut your corn, and peel/devein your shrimp).
2) Place a large pan on a stove and make the setting medium-high. Once your pan is hot, drizzle some olive oil so your other ingredients won’t stick.
3) Add you peppers into the pan. Then add in the zucchini and stir. Finally, add in the corn and stir. Add more oil whenever necessary. Take your shrimp and place it in the pan. Cook the shrimp until they are opaque. Season with chili powder for heat and salt and pepper for taste. Serve immediately over rice or pasta.
Spider Web Zoodles
2 or 3 apples, whatever type you’d like (IMPORTANT: You will need a zoodle machine.)
1) Turn your apples into zoodles using a zoodle machine (see individual machine instructions for help).
2) Place a medium or large pan on a stove. Make setting low-medium. Drizzle with olive oil when pan gets hot. Place your zoodles in the pan. Add a pinch or two of sugar to your zoodles for sweetness. Do not let the zoodles char; you are only warming them up.
3) When your zoodles are warm, put zoodles on a plate. Decorate by putting Oreos on and drawing spider legs on the Oreos with chocolate icing.